Total surface area: 91,000 m2.
The Parco degli Eucalipti, which runs along Via Laurentina, was the large area of eucalyptus woodland planted in the Eighteen hundreds by the Trappist Monks of Tre Fontane Abbey, with the aim of improving the quality of the air and making medicinal elixirs from the evergreen tree. Planning operations commenced in 1938, with the idea of turning it into a Colonial Museum. However, questions relating to natural damage stopped the renovation works in around 1943.
Following the war years, Raffaele De Vico proposed a new layout for the Park, but this was never completed. The current arrangement of the area is the work of the architect Varisco, head of the Parks and Gardens Department of what was then Ente Eur.
Today the park, which is arranged in terraces, panoramic viewpoints, tree-lined avenues and raised walkways, comprises approximately 860 trees, prevalently Eucalyptus, and a dog friendly area.
♦ Carlo Bertilaccio e Francesco Innamorati (a cura di), EUR SpA e il patrimonio di E42, Palombi Editore 2004 - Roma.
♦ Calvesi, E. Guidoni, S. Lux (a cura di), E42. Utopia e scenario del regime. Urbanistica architettura arte e decorazione, Marsilio Editore 1987 - Venezia.
♦ T. Gregori, A. Tartaro (a cura di), E42. Utopia e scenario del regime. Ideologia e programma per l'«Olimpiade delle civiltà», Marsilio Editore 1987 - Venezia.
♦ EUR, guida degli istituti culturali, Leonardo Arte 1995 - Milano.
♦ E. Valeriani e F. Innamorati, EUR. Quartiere di architetture, De Luca Editori d'Arte 2012 - Roma.